Monday, January 31, 2011

Taking Counsel

so I know I just posted about an hour ago, but I had one of those 'ah ha!' moments and had to share. I've grown up my whole life knowing that we cannot know all the mysteries of God, nor can we map out our whole life step by step and expect it to come out exactly as we plan; that's not God's way. As I was reading the Book of Mormon tonight I came across some verses that just re-iterated that fact to me. in Jacob 4: 8-10, Jacob puts these facts very eloquently.

"Behold, great and marvelous are the works of the Lord. How un-searchable are the depths of the mysteries of him; and it is impossible that man should find out all his ways. And no man knoweth of his ways save it be revealed unto him: wherefore bretheren, despise not the revelations of God. For behold, by the power of his word, man came upon the face of the earth, which earth was created by the power of his word. Wherefore, if God being able to speak and the world was, adn to speak and man was created, O then, why not able to command the earth, or the workmanship of his hands upon the face of it, accounting to his will and pleasure? Wherefore, bretheren, seek not to counsel the Lord, but to take counsel form his hand. For behold, ye yourselves know that he counseleth in wisdom and in justice and in great mercy over all his works"

In layman's terms, Jacob is telling us that God is all powerful and created us and everything in this world, and if he is powerful enough to create us, then he is powerful enough to make anything happen. So who are we kidding when we make our own plans and tell God what is going to happen! as we trust in His will and allow things to come as they may, we will have the comfort of knowing that all things are done in His wisdom and power. He is kind, loving, and merciful, but most of all, knows what is best for each of us individually. I have been formulating my own plan in my head for the past year or so as to what is going to happen in my future, and as important as it is to make our own decisions and plan out what we can, it is even more important to allow God to reveal things to us that He knows should happen in our lives. He knows me better than I know myself.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this chapter. Early in our marriage Scott and I were reading it and kind of laughing at the begining because Jacob says how hard it is to write on the plates but then it's like he gets one of those "ah-ha" moments and then goes on to write the longest chapter in the book of Mormon! I can tell you it was one of the strongest spiritual experiences I have ever had and I felt the "ah-ha" moment too!!
    Miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete